About Me

This house full of boys just added a girl!

Monday, December 20, 2010

Getting down with Dylan


Dylan is a stud. A stinker. But a stud. He defintley tries to see how far he can go with things. He knows he is cute, and banks on it to get away with it. I can't tell you how many times he will do something and then just look at you with the " You can't get mad at me because I am too cute" smile. And while I still will probably make him stop whatever he is doing, I am anything but mad. I am usually smiling and shaking my head. Partly because he is so cute, and partly because I think I am secretly in disbelief that this kid can me melt so easily.
On the flip side, there has never been a kid that can push me to my limit so easily. Not because of his behavior really, but because of his lungs. That's right, this kid can scream. And scream he does. Not a manly scream. Not a auggh scream. An ear piercing, blood curddling scream. And he does it often. It's his go to move because he can't talk. Everything that is in least bit frustrating or angering gets a loud, shrill overdramatic scream.
This has been a bit of a challenge for me and Keith I am not going to lie. Kaiden talked so early and so well that this is a bit frustrating for us. There are times when I seriously wish I was deaf rather than listen to one more scream. We have tried everything to get him to stop. Literally everything. Nothing has worked. I have resorted to just dealing with it, and hope that once he can talk it will stop. He has learned a few signs, which have helped a little. At least he has stopped screaming when he wants us to get him something to eat or drink. He can sign that. He also has mastered the word "help" which he yells frequently. But I would rather have that than scream when he wants help any day! He does say a few words, most not very audible but Keith, Kaiden and I know what he means, so I guess that's all that matters.
Dylan has inherited Kaiden's love for cars, and also trains. I think he loves trains even more than Kaiden. He also get's very excited for planes which ironically was new for us. He loves to try anything Kaiden is doing, and because of that is also covered in bruises and scrapes often. He likes to sing and dance and LOVES to pile up couch pillows and runs and jumps into them. That was where his first sentence came into play. A few months ago I caught him doing this, and before he would run he would say " Set…Go!"
He and Kaiden both love to play and chase the neighborhood dogs, as well as ride bikes. And he loves to play wrestle with both Keith and Kaiden. He is still not sure what to do with Brielle and while he has gotten much better, there are plenty of times that he will think twice about hanging out with me if I am holding her. Although I did catch him once when he thought I was looking trying to hold her hand and give her a hug.
Dylan is our eater. This kid is a champ. There isn't much he won't eat, and there isn't much he won't do if you offer or distract him with food. On the contrast, there isn't much you will get him to do if you have said no to giving him food. He has had full on protests in front of the pantry before. All that was missing was handcuffing himself to the door.
While he has been getting better, Dylan has also been the reason our health insurance stays in business. From surgery at 4 weeks old, to his milk allergy and acid reflux he also continued to get frequent ear infections and battled bronchilitis a couple of times. We have been to the hospital with Dylan more times in his short almost 2 years of life than I have ever been in my life total. Luckily, his milk allergy and acid reflux have ended since he turned about 14 months, and his ear infections have been less frequent these last couple of months. His last infection his ear drum ruptured so maybe that has helped keeping future infections at bay.
He has been more difficult than our other 2 (haha so funny that I can say that! Still getting used to the idea that we have 3!) but he is still absolutley adorable. He has got such a wonderful sense of humor and when he is being a cuddle bug, sometimes I wish time could stand still. I can't wait for him to start talking more so I can get to know him even more, and know what's going on in that cute little head of his! We are so lucky to have him in our family, and I love watching his personality evolve as he grows and learns more things!

1 comment:

  1. And I get to know him through your blog :) Yay! You're so lucky his milk problem went away. We're still waiting...and waiting. Sure we have you beat with medical bills--we had enough to count them as a deduction for our taxes!

    ReplyDelete